Also referred to as Vedic Astrology, Indian Astrology also has more traditional designations such as Jyotisha or Jyotishya. Translated from Sanskrit, these words mean “light, heavenly body”. While Indian Astrology was developed in the Indian subcontinent thousands of years ago, Western Astrology originated in Ancient Greece and was also influenced by Egyptian culture. The main difference between Western and Indian astrologies is that the 12 signs use two different systems to separate the constellations.
The 5 main differences between Western and Indian astrology systems:
- Western astrology Tropical Zodiac system and treats the 12 signs starting from the sign of Aries as of March 21st. On the other hand, Indian Astrology, Sidereal Zodiac It is based on the system.
- Aries is the first zodiac sign for Indian Astrology, but according to calculations, the beginning of the signs is counted as April 14th.
- There are 9 planets in total in Indian astrology: Rahu-Ketu with Sun, Moon, Mars, Mercury, Jupiter, Venus, Saturn and Lunar Nodes. If western astrology Uranus, Neptune and Plutoalso takes into account. Another difference of Indian astrology from Western astrology is that it uses lunar constellations called Nakshatra.
- Indian Astrology when analyzing planets to predict the future Vimshottari dasha uses the system. According to this system, the maximum life span of a person is 120 years. 1 Dasha year equals approximately 365.25-day astronomical solar year. Western astrology does not use the Dasha system, but works on the transits of the planets depending on their progress and movement.
- Western astrology, which deals with the position of the Sun and planetary movements, deals with the psychology, personality and character of the person. On the other hand, Indian astrology, which puts the moon in the center, treats life as a whole with all its areas.
Which one is more reliable?
There is more evidence of the accuracy of Indian astrology compared to Western astrology. Based on more realistic astronomical principles, Indian astrology examines not only the natal chart, but also the transits (dasha) of planets to different signs and the simultaneous effects of these transits.
While the Moon moves into a new sign every 2.25 days, the Sun completes it in 1 month. This is a proof that lunar predictions, hence Indian astrology, are more accurate. (This is a very logical approach, given that our mood changes frequently according to situations and events).
The moon is a reflection of our mind, emotions, and temperament. This can be considered as an indication that interpretation of the Moon’s position will lead to more accurate predictions and analysis. Indian astrology uses more precise, detail-oriented tools and methods. In this respect, it is more reliable than Western astrology.
Compiled and translated by: Dilara Preserve
References: Vedic Feed. 5 Basic Differences Between Vedic Astrology and Western Astrology. Retrieved from: https://vedicfeed.com/differences-between-vedic-astrology-and-western-astrology/
Yourtango. What Is The Difference Between Vedic & Western Astrology? Şuradan alınmıştır: https://www.yourtango.com/2019327648/what-astrology-why-vedic-more-accurate-western-horoscopes